2.03.2009

TLo closes; A Sad Commentary

An established bellweather of the economy has collapsed. Tomorrow expect a run on the banks.

Bull City Rising reports that TLo, a restaurant that has been around since 2007, is gone. I'll just let that sink in; TLo is gone. Ok, go ahead and get back to your daily routine, if you can bear it. Me, I'll be sitting here thinking about the reasonable lunches and delicious dinners I would eat there. Their salsa bar was the best at one point. The best I tell ya.
Their meteoric rise and fall since emerging on the Durham food scene earns them a place in the pantheon of highly influential businesses in Durham's history.

To deal with my grief I've written you, TLo, a little poem. I hope you like it.

Because I could not stop for Death
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labour, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
Their lessons scarcely done;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries; but each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.

Godspeed TLo.

2 comments:

Mat said...

RIP, lukewarm-to-astonishingly-cold refried beans.

Also, RIP, Emily Dickinson

Umay said...

That is sad...
Don't forget the fluctuating price of rice and beans...sometimes they would give it to you for $1.50 sometimes up to $4.00 (usually this is what they would charge Mat).

I hear their wrestling art (so many different colors...yet they all look alike) will be donated to the Nasher Museum