11.21.2008

DIY Method to Overcome Depression; be Happier With This Breakthrough Technique.

Yesterday I was in a bad mood about coming to Chicago. While thinking of some upsetting things from the past couple weeks I mentally listed a couple that were particularly nagging...then spontaneously added, "our pets heads are falling off" to the end. I instantly went from being down to cracking up. It had the most restorative effect on my attitude. "My car radio got stolen, my grandma got carjacked...our pets heads are falling off!" See how unimportant the first two things are when you follow them up with that?

I know this technique can single-handedly rid the world of depression and possibly even anger.

When you're down, here's what you do. List three things out loud; two of which should be things that are bothering you, the third of which should be the phrase "our pets heads are falling off" Geeks, employ this equation:
x, x...our pets heads are falling off!

Then, simply laugh and repeat.

Here, I think an example will make it easier to grasp.



It works with anything really. Lets try:
We've got a broken economy, global warming is killing us, our pets heads are falling off! Feel better now? I do.

2 comments:

MichD said...

I would like to attest to this method of combating sullen moods. Just today, I was struck by a mood most foul - that is until I started to list my complaints followed by a "and our pets heads are falling off"

Also, it helps if you can say it in a jim carrey voice (inside your head - it's best for your public image).

MichD said...

I had to use this technique, yet again, yesterday. Thank you for this service!