9.27.2008

R.I.P. Reggie Dunlap, 1925-2008


Today is a sad day...Paul Newman has died.

(Warning: some SlapShot references).

At first I read this article and thought it was a joke...then I saw that Dickie Dunn had written it had to be true.

I have so much to say about him. He alone changed the way I viewed famous people. His actions showed him to be someone who couldn't ignore injustice in life and the disparity between his good fortune and the hard luck of others. Take Newman's Own for instance: they give all their profits to charity. ALL OF THEM. Another story: At one point in his movie contracts he used to have a clause allocating an allotment of beer for the set crew.
My kind of human, salt of the earth.

Really, an obit. for Paul Newman can be distilled down to one line.
-The world is a better place because he was in it.

Can you imagine living a better life?

Its like McGrath told him...the golden years are behind us, soon you'll be hanging up the blades and retiring the act.

Or maybe he just got too old, "to play this fuckin' game."

R.I.P. Mr. Newman, you're up there with the greats now...Eddie Shore, Toe Blake, Dit Clapper...I'm sure you're fitting right in. King of the Mind Fuck.


Damn, I've been watching this movie for 20 years and I still want to skate when I hear this fiery speech. The toughest team in the Federal League.



Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...an awesome movie.

No comments: